4040 Argentine Beef and Egg Empanadas
Argentine Beef and Egg Empanadas
Filling: Heat vegetable oil in a skillet on medium heat. Cook onions until translucent. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
Season with Ground Cumin, Mexican Oregano, and Smoked Spanish Paprika. Add eggs and olives. Drain any excess liquid.
Dough: Preheat oven to 400°. Using a stand mixer, combine flour, baking powder, and Himalayan Pink Salt. Slowly add in butter cubes until mixture is crumbly. Slowly add cold water until dough comes together.
Turn dough out onto floured surface. Cut into 4 pieces. Roll each piece out until thin. Cut into 6” circles, fill with the meat mixture, and fold over. Crimp the edges and brush with egg wash. Cook empanadas on a baking sheet for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 6 hardboiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 8 large Spanish Olives with pimentos, chopped
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (5002) Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons (5028) Mexican Oregano
- 1 tablespoon (5014) Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 4 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon (4040) Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water (egg wash)
For some heat replace Smoked Spanish Paprika with (5160) Smoked Hot Paprika.
Traditional Argentinean baked empanadas with Smoked Paprika and Mexican Oregano
|SKU||4040 5014 5028 5002 R087|
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20 Minutes|
|Total Time||40 Minutes|
|Credits||Chef Cindy Taffel & Photographer Robyn Handler|